Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Be Warned

Apparently some people got offended with my comment that employers should pay their employees for their education. I believe that those who got offended read what they wanted out of my comment and left the rest. I NEVER said you’re dumb if you didn’t get an advanced education. I have many people in my life who have chosen to not do this some of whom are VERY smart! I know experience speaks volumes. My comment involved education AND experience. Everyone’s life situations are different. I personally have taken time out of my social life to get an advanced education because I knew it was important, I wanted to, and I felt that was what the Lord wanted ME to do. I do not look down on anyone who has not made the same life decisions I have. I did not have an easy road through college; I worked full-time my whole way through. I have dealt with difficult situations and even took time off for a study abroad program and a mission. I worked hard in school and got really good grades and even got a scholarship part way through my undergrad.

I am writing this because I wanted to clear the air. It has been bothering me and since this is MY blog I decided I could write what I wanted. Yes, I deleted negative comments on facebook from people. If you don’t like what I say (likely because you only partly read what I was saying) then keep those comments off my facebook page. I know none of us are perfect. I was just venting that an employer had looked at my resume and spoken with me about an available position and informed me that despite my “excellent resume” (his words) that my pay would “be the same as all other new employees even if they had little work experience or schooling” (also his words). The position didn’t require much education or experience but the job description said salary DOE, so knowing that they were willing to supposedly adjust the salary I applied. Had I known there was a set salary I would not have been annoyed.

Sorry to those great people who read my blog, this is not typically what I write about. I obviously did not go forward with that company and I have moved on in my job prospects. I just wanted to be clear with the situation that happened last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment